Monday, July 11, 2011

Exercise vs. Pregnancy

I attempted to attend the ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR CONVENTION on Friday. This is something I have been looking forward to for months, especially since it is held right here in Orlando. I was all ready to go for the first Zumba Fitness Concert of the day, given I had yet to exercise that day or even exert myself. While waiting for the concert to start I felt sick, like I might throw up so I sat down for a bit with my hands in my head. Not feeling much better, I got up and was going to get some water and sit down for a bit and as I did I felt light-headed.

For the first time in my life, I fainted... in front of 6,000 crazy Zumba Instructors ready for the concert to begin. They raced me to the front of the stage ( just in case I wasn't already embarrassed enough) until I came to. I was wheeled out of the arena in a wheelchair. Probably the most embarrassing moment of my life. Roy took me to the ER just to make sure the baby was OK and thankfully everything is fine.

I have come to realize I am not the woman I was pre-pregnancy. This truth has hit me really hard. I feel more than blessed to get to welcome this precious baby in December, but the process has been less than pleasant. Sure, I rub my belly like Buddha day in and day out because I can't believe our little gift from God is growing in there. I weep every time we get to hear its little heart beat. There are days I can't wrap my mind around how wonderful God is and how He is fearfully and wonderfully forming this child. Even still, I have been sick for nearly 18 weeks. I realize I am not alone in this journey of pregnancy sickness and maybe I need to suck it up and take one for the team, but it has been no fun to feel car sick all day every day.

One of the things I am most passionate about is exercising. Weird passion, I know, but it requires no talent or skill so I am good at it :) Before becoming pregnant I exercised 5-8 hours a week, running, doing Zumba, taking spin classes, strength training, etc. It really brought me joy and I loved pushing myself! I actually ran a 5K the day before I found out I was prego ( I could tell I was sluggish that race so I knew something was up.)

They say it is OK to continue exercising during your pregnancy and once I got some energy back, I began doing so. I just don't the energy I used to and it makes me sad :(

Already I am beginning to see how sacrificial being a mother is. I realize I am only seeing a small glimpse of this, but having to put my favorite thing (exercise) aside for a bit has really hit my pride. Things will forever be different from here on out and although I hear there is nothing like being a mother, I realize it isn't the easiest job in the world.

Dear Lord, I sure hope I am up for the challenge!

No comments: