Thursday, September 29, 2011

Preparing... I Guess

About two weeks ago it hit me like a ton of bricks: I am going to be a mom! A wave of emotions flooded through me and I realized that time was winding down. In a rage of panic, I began looking for books about newborns and how to best prepare myself (if that is even possible) for what to expect. I took some suggestions from friends and here is what I have been reading so far. Please feel free to comment if you have any other good reads to add!


I found this at Goodwill for .99 cents. It has been pretty good so far... a little "earthy" if you will. The author is trying to teach parents to learn to distinguish their baby's different cries since crying is their means of communication. Seems a bit impossible to me! :)



This book has come highly recommended, even though we probably won't reference the book for a few years. I have been reading it to become familiar with it and will definitely pick it up again in the future. It is a guide to biblical parenting and discipline.

I will share that chapter 3 of the book talks about the heart and how the heart shapes behavior, even in children. I believe that God's word is true through and through and that even in the womb children are sinful. We pray everyday for Micah's heart to become warm towards God as soon as possible. The book talks about how the heart either worships God or idols. There is no middle ground! This is true of people but children also. What could Micah's idols possibly even be right now? We are praying for Micah to worship God even now!


I have yet to begin reading this one. I found it at our favorite used bookstore for $2.00 after a friend suggested I give it a whirl.

** If any of you veteran parents can think of more books about Biblical parenting, even with newborns, please pass them on **

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i"m not sure that i am considered a "veteran" parent... but here's some of my faves:
Don't Make Me Count to Three... Ginger Plowman
Heaven at Home... Ginger Plowman
Parenting by the Book... John Rosemond
Wise Words for Moms (chart)... Ginger Plowman
Ministry of Motherhood... Sally Clarkson.

But really Becky... you're right... you won't reference a lot of these until later. I would caution against parenting books that have all the answers about babies. You'll figure things out. Filter advice and trust your gut!
Katie Dugdale <><