Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lightning and Lizards

We are beginning to learn that a central Florida summer equals a thunderstorm or rain shower everyday. It WILL rain at some point during our day, we just never really know when. Thursday we had our first taste of Florida being known as the Lightning Capital of the World and believe me, we did not like it. We were heading down to College Park in Orlando (about a 30 minute drive) for our very first City Group meeting (like a small group for the church we go to). As we left our apartment we saw some incredibly dark clouds lingering just to the west of us. We drove through some heavy rain and terrible lightning! The crazy thing was, people we riding their bikes, waiting for the bus, and walking their dogs with lightning striking all around. I couldn't believe it! Roy was driving and I had my eyes closed and my ears covered. I DID NOT like the lightning and I'm learning that although people here are used to it, they aren't so fond of it either.


Another thing I'm having to get used to is LIZARDS. Normally, they really freak me out and here in Orlando, they are EVERYWHERE... no joke! I used to avoid them and be really scared of them, but when my friend Jenny told me they eat bugs like roaches (which I am deathly afraid of) I began to welcome them :) I'm still not the biggest fan of them, so I definitely won't post a photo.

No comments: